From backcountry to back patio, Camp Chef is the way to cook outdoors. We know every good time starts with an invitation, and there's no better enticement than great-tasting food. And the best food, we believe, is cooked with a flame and kissed by smoke. The same vision that reinvented camp-cooking thirty years ago guides everything we make today, from camp cook systems to pizza ovens to pellet grills. Whatever we do, we'll never stop finding ways to help others gather outside because as food fuels our body and nature nourishes our spirit, togetherness sustains our souls.
We are looking for a Director, Product Development to join our team of passionate outdoor-lovers, makers, and culinary experts committed to bringing five-star flavor to the great outdoors. In this role, you will direct the coordination and overall integration of technical activities in engineering projects from ideation through production. This position manages and supervises engineers on the research and development team that are responsible for the technical design, testing, and analysis of all products. This position works cross functionally with Operations, Marketing and Sales to ensure the products have industry leading innovation, quality, and on-time delivery.
This position reports to the Camp Chef President and is based out of our Hyde Park, Utah office.
As the Director, Product Development you will have an opportunity to:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to create new product launch opportunities that create customer enthusiasm and satisfaction with high return on investment.
- Develop plans to properly resource product development projects with engineering time, operational budget, and capital investment.
- Continually assess and improve the competitiveness of all products, policies, and practices against relevant comparable companies and industries.
- Ensure development timelines and processes are established and achieved for product design, testing, quality validation, commercialization, and quality control.
- Ensure products are of high quality to meet market needs, meet safety standards, exhibit low factory off-quality rates, and low warranty return claims.
- Ensure critical product information including design, packaging, product manuals are accurate and completed on time.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. Design of wide variety of products including sheet metal, casting, plastic injection molding, and sewing.
- Work with certification agencies to ensure products are built to industry standards and certified as needed.
- Execute on-time product development to allow successful sample and mass-production delivery. Tracking work completion against deadlines and taking correction action to keep work on time.
- Perform engineering analyses, review, and critique designs with the end customer experience in mind.
- Direct, review, and approve project design changes.
- Participate in developing, presenting, and reviewing Camp Chef’s monthly/quarterly reporting.
- Set actions and drive to expand Gross Margin.
- Participate in the development of the Company's plans and programs as a strategic partner, particularly from a product design perspective. Recommends and implements strategic changes introducing new ideas, technologies, and materials into our products to better serve the consumer.
- Maintain relationships with clients and internal sales and marketing to prepare project specifications and ensure quality products are achieved.
- Confer with management, sales, production, and marketing staff to establish project specifications and goals for new product development.
- Support the marketing and selling functions as required.
- Work with functional leaders to deploy best practices across Camp Chef.
- Ensure there are optimal processes for file hand-off, approval tracking and storage.
- Attract, develop, and retain top engineering talent through networking, training, coaching, developing, and assigning stretch goals.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering discipline required, master's degree in engineering discipline preferred.
- Experience working with a consumer facing brand to develop innovative products and bring them to market.
- Must have at least 5 years of Project Management experience to include communication, scheduling, budget &resource planning, team building and risk management.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of American National Standard Institute (ANSI) for product lines.
- Strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, and good judgment.
- Proficiency in 3d modeling including PTC Creo and database management using PTC Windchill.
- Familiarity with ANSI/UL/CSA/CE standards for products including but not limited to the following. Z21.89; Z21.58; UL2728, Z21.72, Z21.97; EC142; EN497; EN509.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, gear discounts and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
👉 Please reference you found the job on GetOutdoorJobs.com, this helps us get more companies to post here, thanks!