Located in Olivebridge, NY on 385 acres of fields, forests, trails, and streams, the Ashokan Center has provided high quality, innovative outdoor/environmental education programs for K-12 school students and teachers for over 50 years.
Ashokan is the home of the world renowned Ashokan Music & Dance programs and also hosts retreats, weddings, as well as a variety of public events, performances and lectures.
Ashokan Music Outdoor Educator
Our mission is to inspire learning and build community through shared experiences in nature, history, music and art.
The Ashokan Center is seeking positive individuals with good communication skills, who thrive in a collaborative work environment. We’re looking for applicants who have experience working with children and using music and movement to build community and inspire a love of nature.
This position will play a critical role in collaborating with the Education team to weave group singing, dancing, and songwriting into our outdoor education and living history programs.
We are seeking on-call and full time staff for the 2022 season. Full time Ashokan Educators work Monday through Friday and some weekends, late January through June.
- Teach songs, dance & movement games, and introductory ukulele classes to elementary/middle school students.
- Teach a variety of inquiry-based classes such as living history, forest and aquatic ecology, team building, sustainability, art, and colonial-era crafts.
- Lead large and small group activities
- Assist with maintenance and cleaning of program areas and equipment
- Participate in ongoing professional development and program assessment
- Lend a hand during public events
- Perform other tasks as determined by the education team
Full time employee benefits
- Private room with paid utilities and free wifi
- Meals during program days
- Paid training sessions for all curricular areas, organizational systems, safety and emergency response
- Access to our 385 acre preserve
- Free admission to all Ashokan festivals, concerts, and lectures
- Educators who use the complimentary housing will receive NYS minimum wage, staff who commute from offsite will receive $15 an hour
- Teaching experience with elementary/middle school students
- A college degree or experience in education, environmental science, natural history, American history, music, and/or art
- First aid certification
👉 Please reference you found the job on GetOutdoorJobs.com, this helps us get more companies to post outdoor industry jobs here, thanks!