About the Columbia Land Conservancy:
The Columbia Land Conservancy brings people together to conserve, appreciate, and enjoy land. For nearly 40 years, CLC has collaborated with individuals, communities, and partners to ensure Columbia County is a beautiful, livable, resilient place. Columbia County is located on the ancestral homelands of the Mohican people, who are the Indigenous peoples of this land.
The Vice President of Finance and Operations is a mission-driven and strategic individual responsible for overseeing and managing all CLC operations, including Finance, Office Operations, People and Culture, and Data & Systems. The Vice President reports to the President, is a part of the CLC Leadership Team, and will be a key senior leader of the organization.
The members of the Leadership Team work collectively to support each other, set the general direction of the organization, ensure
focus on the Strategic Plan, and aim to improve the financial and cultural health of the organization. This position is expected to have at least a part-time presence in the office and may opt to work part-time remotely as per CLC’s Remote Work Policy.
Goals and Objectives:
• Provide strategic leadership and guidance to the organization on all financial and
• Provide leadership to staff by providing effective support across all teams,
particularly in the areas of Finance, Organizational Operations, People & Culture,
and Data & Systems.
• Ensure the organization follows all legal, regulatory, and financial reporting
• Responsible for oversight of all finance/accounting functions at CLC and ensuring
internal control procedures are followed.
• Manage quarterly close and produces quarterly financial reports
• Oversee and coordinate grant financial tracking and reporting.
• Liaise with the Board Treasurer and provide financial updates to CLC’s Finance
• Serve as the staff lead for CLC’s Finance Committee and work closely with the
Committee’s Chair to develop annual goals and each meeting agenda
• Manage annual budget process; work with Departments to develop and monitor
• Serve as a primary signer on checks
• Liaise with external auditors and manage the annual audit process
• Manage Accounting Coordinator; supporting and reviewing associated work with
Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
Organizational Operations (15%)
• Lead staff for assessing risk and ensuring CLC is following best practices around
risk management (insurance, cyber security, and policies).
• Work closely with the President and Leadership Team to develop strategies and
plans to optimize internal operations and efficient workflow
• Support Director of Marketing & Communications to ensure that CLC’s
communication strategy and brand stewardship are aligned with the strategic plan
and organizational resources.
• In collaboration with the President and CLC’s Leadership Team, develop, assess,
and manage CLC’s 3–5-year strategic priorities
• Help set agendas for all-staff meetings and works with Operation Manager to plan
and implement regular all-staff off-sites
• Participate in regular Leadership Team meetings and provide leadership
throughout the organization
• Lead and manage Operations/Finance Team, provide feedback and management
with regular meetings
• Develop Operations performance metrics; work with staff to set and regularly
review, update, and assess progress
• Oversees and supports Operations Manager in office and building management
work; sets the direction for management of all operational infrastructure and
• Staff Liaison with President and Operations Manager for managing board and
committee meetings and minutes.
People & Culture (15%)
• Engage with and support CLC’s Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI)
initiatives and working group
• Provide oversight of all People & Culture initiatives at CLC
• Oversee all recruitment strategies to build a strong, diverse, and effective staff and
• Develop strategies to enhance overall employee satisfaction and retention
• Oversee and manage CLC’s internal assessment and performance review process
• Ensure strong employee relationships, policies and procedures, and recruitment
efforts are in place
• Assess, set, and manage CLC’s benefits strategies in partnership with the
Data & Systems (10%)
• Support Operations Manager in setting direction, policies, and procedures for CLCs
• Oversee and/or support Operation Manager in projects related to modifying,
updating, and improving existing CLC systems and processes
• Ensure excellent data management, analytics, and business processes are in place
• Work with the Operations Manager to implement data security measures to protect
CLC’s systems, data, and reputation.
Qualifications required to excel in this position can come from a range of both professional and lived experiences. Below we describe what we believe to be important qualifications for a candidate to have while remaining open to the diversity of experiences that can lead to these skill sets. Position descriptions are often presented in a way that leaves qualified candidates feeling unwelcome, intimidated, uncomfortable and/or unqualified to apply. Recognizing that, we strongly encourage anyone who feels
passionate about this work and believes they have what it takes to thrive in this role to apply.
• Minimum B.S degree in accounting, finance, or business administration
and/or 5-7 years’ experience working in finance and administration,
preferably in a non-profit setting.
• Strong accounting skills and knowledge of generally accepted accounting
• Proven success in managing budgets and fiscal resources.
• Strong skills with Excel and accounting software (previous work with
Blackbaud products a plus)
• Demonstrated commitment to JEDI values
• Ability and willingness to implement best public health COVID
practices in public-facing role.
• Ability to listen and genuinely engage with diverse staff and comfort with
productively addressing conflict.
• Ability to function productively as a member and leader of a workteam.
• Master’s degree in accounting, public administration, or business
• 10+ years of managerial-level experience in finance and
administration at a Land Trust or other non-profit organization.
• Demonstrable experience in human resource management and
knowledge of performance best practices.
• Familiarity with Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices
Physical Demands Primarily office duties as performed at a desk (may require
periods of sitting and computer typing).
Indoor office work. Office work is primarily sitting at a desk with a computer or in meetings. The position requires occasional weekend and evening work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be
required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed.
👉 Please reference you found the job on GetOutdoorJobs.com, this helps us get more companies to post outdoor industry jobs here, thanks!